Here's why: Google and many other major search engines consider link popularity a significant factor when listing search results. The more high-traffic, relevant websites you have linking to you, the higher your site will appear in the search results.
Website link popularity simply indicates how many other Web pages are linking to your Web page. It's calculated by counting the number of Web pages that contain your link, also known as inbound links. While links alone won't guarantee you a top spot on search results, it's wise to apply link popularity tactics as part of your overall search engine promotion efforts.
To help you, here are some effective strategies for increasing your inbound links:
1. Take advantage of reciprocal linking, one of the most popular linking strategies. This technique involves exchanging links with other sites. You put their link on your site; they put your link on theirs. Be sure to link to sites that are related to your site's topic. If your website is about software, for example, link only to sites that are about software. The higher the page rank and the fewer the links, the better. Stay away from link farms; these are typically sites with low or no page rank and many, many links. Try to link to sites that have a page rank of 4 or better; however lower ranking is certainly acceptable.
2. Create professional press releases and distribute them online. Write a newsworthy press release and post it on relevant websites or distribute it online through a distribution service such as PRWeb or PRNewswire. For best results, hyperlink appropriate keywords throughout the release to produce quality back links and generate traffic for your business.
3. Write articles and submit them to appropriate websites. Submit articles with your resource box containing your name and Website address. Article sites often have high page rank. Also, whenever anyone decides to use your article on their site or in their newsletter, you'll receive a new inbound link.
4. Write testimonials for products you've found worthwhile, and make sure the testimonial contains your Website address. You'll not only gain an inbound link, but you also can draw traffic from anyone who reads your testimonial.
5. Submit your site to directories that relate to your topic or target audience. This will not only help improve your link popularity but it will also satisfy the search engines and very possibly increase your keyword search ranking and website traffic.
6. Join forums. Ask questions and contribute your knowledge. This will allow you to place your site URL in your signature line, which in turn creates an inbound link for you.
7. Capitalize on your own website's navigation as a linking strategy. Every page of your site should include links to the rest of your site. It's a good idea to include a site map as well. Keep all your site navigation links consistent on each page.